Post Through September 20, 2019
PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER
CITY BUILDING – 30 PARK AVE
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES & REQUIREMENTS:
The city of Oakwood is establishing an eligibility list to fill current and future vacancies for a full-time Dispatcher position in the Public Safety Department. This recruitment seeks experienced candidates who have worked as either a police or fire dispatcher. Oakwood has a fully integrated public safety department in which employees perform police, fire, and rescue duties.
This position is primarily responsible for receiving incoming routine and emergency public safety calls, dispatching personnel and equipment for assistance based on available resources, and maintaining contact with public safety officers. Oakwood Public Safety operates a single position dispatch center and the on-duty dispatcher primarily works alone.
Work includes frequent interaction with the public, requiring tact, firmness, and decisiveness in obtaining information from people who are under extreme stress. Dispatchers compile and maintain records and reports regarding public safety activities.
- have current Ohio LEADS certification, AND
- have been employed with a police, fire, or EMS agency for at least 12 months, AND
- have a High School Diploma/GED, AND
- be 18 years of age, AND
- be willing to work any of three shifts, including weekends and holidays, and may be ordered to work overtime hours in addition to assigned shift.
The position requires knowledge of FCC rules and regulations, public safety radio dispatching procedures, LEADS computer operations and requirements, and law enforcement procedures; skill in operating computers, dispatch equipment, and multi-band radio; the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions, and recognize unusual or threatening conditions. Excellent hearing and diction required.
The successful applicant has the ability to multi-task in high stress situations and communicate effectively with the public and all levels of management.
The current contractual pay range is $19.89/hr. to $29.26/hr. Entry rate is contingent upon the applicant’s related experience and training. The city of Oakwood offers an excellent benefit package.
Submit complete packet including City of Oakwood Employment Application, Resume and Cover Letter including a brief overview of relevant work experience, education and training by September 20, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
- in person 8 AM – 5 PM, Monday – Friday, OR
- by mail to: Personnel Director, City of Oakwood, 30 Park Avenue, Oakwood, Ohio 45419; OR
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org,OR
- by fax to (937) 297-2940.
Upon verification of qualifications, candidates will receive a confirmation to attend a required job-simulation audio-based assessment that measures the critical dispatch skills of listening comprehension, problem solving, multitasking, and maintaining composure under stress as required in a typical dispatch setting.
Top candidates will be asked to participate in subsequent phases for purposes of creating an eligibility list, which include:
- oral interviews
- an extensive background check
- polygraph exams
- psychological assessment
- comprehensive medical exam and drug screen
Inability to successfully complete any phase of this process, or failure to appear for any phase, may be cause for elimination from consideration.
The assessment will be given on Wednesday, September 25, 2019, at 9:00 am at 30 Park Avenue in the Public Safety Training Center. No alternate dates will be given.
Doors will open at 8:30 a.m., at which time candidates must present the following:
- official confirmation of assessment invitation, AND
- a current photo ID, preferably a valid driver’s license, AND
- the completed Work Experience Questionnaire (provided with assessment confirmation packet).
Equal Opportunity Employer