A permit is a license that allows you or a contractor to perform work on your house or building. It is issued to the owner or the owner’s agent such as the contractor, sub-contractor or other person responsible for the work being done, and it identifies the required inspections. Permitting requirements are governed by City ordinances, zoning regulations and various state building code requirements. Some work may not require zoning or building permits, but, nonetheless, must still comply with the applicable codes.

When do I pay for a permit?

The permit fee is due when when the application is submitted. You may pay by cash, check, or online.

When can I start work?

After the permit is issued. Emergency repair/replacement (i.e., water heater, furnace) can proceed as long as the application is submitted immediately. .

How long is the permit valid?

The permit is valid for six months from the time of issuance. Expired permits require renewal or re-issuance with additional fees. The permit is closed when the final inspection is completed and the work is approved for compliance with the applicable codes.

Structural, Electrical & Plumbing Permits

The city of Oakwood contracts with the city of Kettering to perform Building Department services for structural, electrical and plumbing home improvement projects.  Visit Kettering's building department website for further information at  The city of Oakwood reviews the plans for zoning compliance.

Close window