Sidewalk Assessment Notices

Two legal notices about sidewalk assessments were printed in the May 15 edition of the Oakwood Register and have caused some confusion. These were routine notices related to the city’s annual Sidewalk, Curb, and Driveway Apron Repair Program.  The notices list all streets that are within the geographic limits of the 2022 and 2023 project areas, including streets that may not have sidewalks.  Residents should note that this does not mean new sidewalks are, or were, to be constructed.  These notices pertain to repairs only, and to work that was done in 2022 and 2023.  The only costs being assessed are costs that remain unpaid after the affected property owners were invoiced.

Utility Company Right-of-Way Construction

There are two types of permits required for utility companies to do work in the City right-of-way (ROW).  These are Construction Permits and Minor Maintenance Permits. All right-of-way work requires a permit.

A Construction Permit is required if the project includes “construction.”

  • Under Chapter 951, construction includes, but is not limited to, digging, boring, tunneling, trenching,excavating, obstructing, installing wires, installing conduit, installing pipes, installing transmission lines, installing poles, installing signs, or installing Facilities, other than landscaping or ornamental plantings in, on, above, within, over, below, under, or through any part of the Rights-of-Way. This includes opening and/or cutting into any paved or improved ROW surface that is part of the Rights-of-Way. (If there is any question about whether a project constitutes “construction,” the Engineering Technician should be consulted.

A Minor Maintenance Permit is required for any right-of-way work that fits in one of the following categories:

  • A routine repair/replacement that does not involve “construction” (see definition, above) and does not require more than 30 minutes of traffic control.
  • Construction that does not require street lane or sidewalk closures, and does not involve cutting any street, pavement, curb, or sidewalk. For thoroughfares and arterial streets, the work must be done in one (1) day between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. In other locations, the work must take less than 8 continuous hours to complete.
Close window